Sure Fit Toilet Lock Recall
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following products. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.
- Name of Product: Safety 1st Sure Fit Toilet Lock
- Units: About 183,000
- Importer: Dorel Juvenile Group (DJG) Inc., of Columbus, Ind.
- Hazard: Young children can unexpectedly disengage the toilet locks and gain access to water in the toilet, posing the risk of drowning.
- Incident/Injuries: DJG has received 110 reports of toilet locks that did not adequately secure the lid, including eight reports of children, under the age of two, who were able to disengage or break the lock.
- Description: This recall involves Safety 1st Sure Fit toilet locks with model numbers 48003 and 48103. The toilet lock is attached to the tank behind the lid and is intended to prevent a child's access to the toilet bowl. Model numbers can be found on the back of the locks.
- Sold at: Bed, Bath and Beyond, Great Beginnings, Home Depot, Target, and Walmart from January 2005 through April 2010 for between $8 and $20. Amazon.com sold the lock through April 2012.
- Manufactured in: China
- Remedy: Consumers should immediately remove the recalled locks and contact DJG for a free replacement lock of a different model. When removing the recalled locks, consumers are urged to prevent unsupervised access to bathrooms.
- Consumer Contact: To obtain your free replacement toilet lock please contact our recall hotline at 1-(877) 416-8105 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. EST Monday through Friday. Please have the model number and validation code from your toilet lock available when you contact our recall hotline.